Canopy are committed to Harehills: We don’t want to see a ‘forgotten’ generation of young people who are unable to find jobs in the face of competition from more experienced candidates. Thankfully, Yorkshire Building Society’s Community Foundation think the same. They have helped fund our training programme for young and long-term unemployed people.
Our new training programme
In 2021 we launched a series of training programmes. Trainees do not need to be from Harehills, but the programme is aimed at people from the less affluent areas of Leeds. The programme offers:
- The opportunity to work regularly on a live construction site.
- Six half-day classroom training sessions on essential construction industry skills.
- Small active learning groups and 121 support from our volunteer co-ordinator, our training and skills co-ordinator and our site workers.
- Your own PPE and toolkit for the duration of the programme.
- The opportunity to keep the PPE and toolkit if you complete the programme.
- Support in finding employment so your training doesn’t go to waste.
- A certificate of achievement and employer recommendations on completion.
- The opportunity to meet and work with the people who volunteer and self-help with Canopy Housing
- Invitations to our annual Scarborough trip, Christmas meal and other events throughout the year.
- Lots of tea and biscuits!